www.flickr.com

2006-07-10

For dinner, a stir-steam

Today marks day one of a new era in my life, cooking in a somewhat organized fashion, and I'm happy to blog about everthing coming together to make a productive and decent meal. It meant going to bed early so I could get up early and decide on a recipie for dinner before going to work. Writing down the ingredients I needed and shopping on my way home. Getting chores underway and fitting the chopping in between other tasks.

So here's what I made; Asparagus, onion, tomato stir-steam. This involves simmering the asparagus (1lb) and onions (1sml) in 4tbl of water for about 7 minutes; then adding soy sauce (2tsp) and ginger (1tsp finely chopped) and finally the tomatoes (halved cherry tomatoes) go in just long enough to heat.

Pretty simple dish, but that's a good start for where my cooking skills are at. The dish could use a bit more spice, but I've not yet figured out what will work. Also the ginger was quite nice but subtle and I'd like to find a way to enhance the dish without losing the ginger.

2 Comments:

Blogger jjlook said...

mmm. Steaming is the least "spice-friendly" way to cook something. Sauteeing will always get some flavour in...also garlic and chiles.
I propose we go on a shopping/cooking trip one day, you pick a food or a category that you think might be hard, and I will show you what you need...

10:00 a.m.  
Blogger Mandy said...

Zak and I started ordering goceries from Spud.ca over a month ago, and I really recommend it. It helps very much with that whole problem of planning your meals and shopping; I can easily get very lazy about this, then we end up eating out too much!

It's cool that you've decided to start eating this way, though. I'm not such a natural at it myself, I know it can be a challenging thing to do. May the force be with you! ;)

10:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home