www.flickr.com

2006-07-06

Getting back into CSS and looking at AJAX

Suddenly a good reason to brush up on the long-neglected and somewhat underdeveloped skill of CSS has arrived. This morning I found myself immersed in exploring the state-of-the-art of CSS, and I've got to say, the state is very good. The last time I was this deep in CSS was in 2001 or so, and times have changed since then. These days, there are browser bugs but not nearly as bad as in 2001, and there are websites such as quirksmode that document the way to avoid the bugs. Of course the CSS Zen Garden is still a masterful resource, among many others that have popped up. At this point, I'm not going to link to any more CSS sites as it will take some time to mature my taste in CSS resources, but I'm very impressed by the accessibility of work for both design and layout ideas.

So now that CSS has matured into the wonderfully expressive medium that it is, what's next? Lots of people are getting excited about AJAX and quite frankly so am I. My career was built in the webapp space so I'm very aware of the problems AJAX is trying to solve; the intermingling of layout and content being the greatest point of pain for many people.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachael said...

Does this mean you are going to be working on the Picture site or are you just brushing up because you should?

12:34 p.m.  
Blogger Gail at Large said...

The whole reason behind me using the K2 template is because of the AJAX-driven commenting feature. I hadn't seen any other template use it, and I loved the way it looked. K2 was tough for me, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

6:22 p.m.  
Blogger slightly-less-random said...

@Rachael: No word yet. So the exploration was due to the Picture site and also because I should; it is high time I became more proficient with CSS.

@Gail: I may have to take a microscope to your blog...

10:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home