www.flickr.com

2006-06-29

The worst news comes when you're away

Yesterday I called up Sam and was dismayed to learn that Keima, one of the two cats that we raised when we were together, has come down with acute liver disease. He was vomiting and jaundiced and in pain but maybe going to be ok. This afternoon I called to find out more; there's bloodwork back from the vet and now he's doing very badly. Even if intensive care was done it would be a long time for suffering and a small chance of survival; it looks like he may be put down before I can get back. It's so sudden and one of those "life is unfair" kind of moments; I feel like a dad that's abandoned his children in a time of need. My little buddy might die and I can't even say goodbye.

Maybe if I try really hard I can pretend today didn't happen. There's still tomorrow though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

That's terrible! I'm so sorry, Ben. :(

7:50 p.m.  
Blogger Rachael said...

Now I wish I'd dragged myself out of my nap to answer the phone...

9:55 p.m.  
Blogger sonneva said...

Keima passed peacefully at 3:15pm today. He had a good last day listening to Jesse Cook and laying beside me getting as much love as he could tolerate. I'm hoping he gets re-incarnated as a leapord. Goodbye Keima, we will miss you terribly.

7:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home