www.flickr.com

2006-05-31

Satisfying Creation

It is late, I'm in bed and sleeping, or nearly sleeping. Then it hits me, a sudden and unexpected drive to leap out of bed and do something specific; solving a problem, making a photograph, or creating a painting. It could be anything, it could be writing, programming, drawing, moving, cleaning. Maybe it is destroying something that needs to be destroyed, moving around objects that are the everyday, or just putting on the closest clothes and going to be somewhere for no reason other than the sudden need to do it.

It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it nearly always ends up creating satisfying work or at least creating powerful memories. Does this happen to you, too?

4 Comments:

Blogger sonneva said...

Oh yeah! I've gotten up at 5am a few times as of late, and done this.

11:09 a.m.  
Blogger sonneva said...

I've also had this happen late at night as well, especialy in the summer

11:12 a.m.  
Blogger [The User] said...

I am often, as far as writing goes, at my most creative when I'm lying in bed. I have been known to shut down my computer and go to bed only to get up after an hour and fire it up just to write a letter while it's still fresh in my mind. My thoughts often seem most lucid while I'm in bed. Perhaps it's just that I'm tired and my thoughts seem clearer than usual.

So the answer is yes. It does happen to me.

11:42 a.m.  
Blogger Sara said...

Yep... usually it either involves house cleaning or something to do with the business end of music lately... I do love getting up the next day and showing Derek how clean I made the place while he was sleeping though...

2:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home